Maybe “real” bloggers don’t post New Year’s memes on their blogs, but I’m obsessed with looking back, and I’m equally obsessed with the fact that I’m FINALLY saying goodbye to this ridiculous year. So here you go!
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Bought a smart phone. Got a giant raise. Went camping. Had my car broken into. Ran speed dating events! Other things I don’t feel like throwing out into the entire internet.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I suppose a couple of them were kept. I read 50 books, at least.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Actually, I don’t think anyone I know gave birth at all.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No and I’m very thankful for that.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you didn’t have in 2009?
More love, more happiness, more strength. Stability.
7. What date(s) from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 24th, hands down. I’ve always been overdramatic, and I’ve never taken breakups easily, but the night G broke up with me was legitimately one of the worst nights of my life (I also admit my life has been pretty lucky if the worst night ever was just a breakup). On a happier note, September 8th was the day I started my current job.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finally leaving the worst job ever. Surviving The Breakup, and not acting like a crazy person throughout it (I mean, at least not the kind of crazy person who calls & texts & begs incessantly!).
9. What was your biggest failure?
Letting everything affect me as much as it did. I was a mess most of the year. I wish I’d been able to handle things better. Also, repeatedly screwing up my car.
10. Did you suffer any illness or injury?
I swear I’m getting RSI or carpal tunnel.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new TV (32″ flat screen, finally something from this decade!), my phone (Palm Pre). The body work on my car.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Everyone in my life is pretty amazing, really. I have a few friends who put up with a lot of my crazy, and that definitely means they get props.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My car insurance company’s.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, insurance, food. Car repairs.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Quitting the hell job. Planning my (possible) December 2010 trip to Rome.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
I have an entire 2009 playlist on iTunes, but among them are:
Baker Lake – Sera Cahoone
Skinny Love – Bon Iver
Do It Again – Nada Surf
Elements – A Fine Frenzy
Slow Show, Baby We’ll Be Fine, and Lucky You – The National (pretty much any National song is going to forever scream 2009)
On Call – Kings of Leon
Blue Lips – Regina Spektor
Half Mine – Geri X
Carry Me Ohio – Sun Kil Moon
Boston – The Dresden Dolls
Cosmic Love – Florence & the Machine
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?: After being sadder for most of the year, finally happier.
ii. thinner or fatter?: fatter but okay with that.
iii. richer or poorer?: richer. 🙂
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Writing. Blogging. Drinking. Taking pictures. Staying in touch.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Obsessively applying to jobs. Crying. Stressing. Missing people.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my parents, brothers, and dog, as per usual.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
I wouldn’t say that, exactly.
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Gossip Girl, probably. And Brothers & Sisters.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Oh, do I ever! Threatening to “cut my neck” is not a good way to make me like you.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
For most of 2008 I was incredibly bored and tired of music, and I’m SO glad that changed. Greatest discoveries? The National. Nada Surf. Bon Iver. Florence and the Machine. Band of Horses. A Fine Frenzy (sort of a re-discovery). Chris Garneau. Lykke Li. Sun Kil Moon. Mike Hale. So much amazingness.
26. What did you want and get?
A grown-up apartment not in a basement. A new job – and exactly the kind of job I wanted. A new TV and new phone.
27. What did you want and not get?
To get back what I’d lost. Also, a healthier social life/a group of friends. An adventure. A cat.
28. What were your favorite films of this year?
Nothing really stuck with me.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 24. I had a joint party with G’s roommate and a couple of his friends a couple weeks before my birthday. Of all the people there, I think about four or five were actually there for me. I didn’t cry. On my actual birthday, G took me to dinner and then gave me presents, and then I fell asleep on the couch. Life of the party!
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
The ability to be strong and happy no matter what the situation.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
I wish I had a “personal fashion concept,” but I’m terribly boring. Someone please take me shopping?
32. What kept you sane?
The idea that if I got through this much, I can get through whatever else.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. Who did you miss?
A better question might be who didn’t I miss.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
I don’t know if I can pick just one.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
I am so much stronger than I think I am. Sometimes all you can do is keep moving; there’s just no other option. You just have to trust that you can get through things, because there is nothing else you can do. Sometimes, in order to get what you need, you have to ask for it. It’s okay to reach out and admit you need people. I also learned that it’s okay to trust myself, that I do usually know what I want and can make appropriate choices for myself.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
maybe this weight was a gift, like I had to see what I could lift (Nada Surf – Do It Again). Always. Sometimes I think remembering this was all that got me through.
Read 50 books
Don’t fail at my job. Don’t fail at my life.
Figure out WTF I actually want to be doing with my life.
Make myself believe that there are good things in the world.
Maintain friendships that matter, let the rest slide.
Read 50 books (again).
BE EFFING HAPPY.